Wednesday, May 21, 2014

My favorite afghans...

We started this blog in an effort to create an archive of our projects.  In that spirit, I wanted to take some time to record some of my favorite afghan patterns.  These are patterns that I turn to when I need a project for TV watching or a quick baby blanket.  I don't know if they have names, and I'm not sure where most of the patterns come from.  If you know, let me know!

I think the first one is from Drew Emborski... I think I saw him demonstrate the pattern on a craft show at some point.  I love it because once the foundation is made, there is very little thought involved.  It's interesting, but not complicated.  I have done it in big chunky yarns, boucle yarns, and most recently in worsted weight for a baby blanket.  My favorite is this blue one made with a big chunky yarn and a size L hook.  It measures about 4' wide by 6' long.

  • Start with a foundation of DC stitches - any multiple of 12 plus 7 more stitches.  
  • DC across the second row and all even rows.
  • Change colors, and then work *(1 dc, 1 fptr) 3 times, 6 dc*.  Repeat from * to * to the end of the row ending with 1 dc.
  • On the next odd numbered row, change color and work *6 dc, (1 dc, 1 fptr) 3 times*.  Repeat from * to * to the end of the row ending with 7 dc.
    • fptr = Front post triple crochet around the post of the stitch 2 rows below.
  • Repeat these four rows until the blanket is as big as you want.




This is the throw my mom made way back in the mid 70s.
  It was just inexpensive acrylic yarn, and it has held up
beautifully through lots of washing!
The next afghan that I like to make is the ripple pattern.  I think I am drawn to this one because it was so popular in the '70s and that is when my mom was making them.  You can make them as wide as you want and you can evenly space the ripples or do them randomly.  I usually start with a foundation chain that is about twice as long as I want the afghan.  (I don't really count the chain stitches because I will just untie any excess chains later.)  Then just start by skipping one chain stitch, working 5 sc into the next 5 bumps, work 3 sc into the next bump (double increase), work 5 sc into the next 5 bumps, then sc 3 bumps together (double decrease).  Continue like this across the row until you finish the last double increase and 5 sc.  Chain 1 and turn.  Skip the first stitch and repeat working into the back loops only.  Now, all that matters is that you put your increases at the tops of the peaks and you put your decreases at the bottom of the valleys.  You can do sc, dc, hdc, or whatever you want.  You could do 5 stitches between increase for one peak and then do 2 stitches between the next peak.  I have seen some patterns that want a decrease at the end of each row, but I don't bother.  I think it's easier to just not work the last stitch or two and then turn.  I like the scalloped look of the edge like this.

This pattern is really versatile.  You can use any yarn you want with any hook you want.  A cool self-striping yarn would be super easy.  It would also be a great way to clear out your stash of scrap yarns.  Choose a great big chunky yarn with a big hook and you can make one of these in a hurry!



No comments:

Post a Comment